Monday, April 12, 2010

Swapping out spells

I've been digging into D&D, retrogames and other old RPG spell lists lately and I must admit I've been wondering lately how different a game of D&D/retro-clone would look with this spell list:

Level 1
Blur
Detect Magic
Drop Weapon
Image
Light
Magic Fist
Slow Movement
Staff

Level 2
Avert
Clumsiness
Confusion
Darkness
Dark Vision
Detect Life
Fire
Summon Wolf

Level 3
Dazzle
Detect Enemies
Far Vision
Lock/Knock
Shock Shield
Speed Movement
Summon Warrior
Ward

Imagine the players reaction to a whole new spell list and a whole new set of tactics to discover.

4 comments:

  1. This is an interesting list. This is a cool idea.

    Can you direct me to where some of the spell descriptions are? For example, I'm not familiar with Blur or Magic Fist. Based on what you said, it sounds like a compilation of a lot of old spell lists and I was just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are from Wizard/Advanced Wizard for The Fantasy Trip. They'd have to be reworked for a D&D related game but I see promise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found this in the TFT maillist archive:

    http://docs.google.com/View?id=dcsfz7gv_22xmrn2sgg

    It's an OGL version of TFT.

    I wonder what this alternate list would look like in Microlite20?

    Thanks for pointing me to TFT. I never heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was actually exactly what I was thinking about, reworking the spell list. I'm glad that it's not a unique endeavor :)

    ReplyDelete