Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Embarrassing Cartography

Since I dared to use the word dingle and got a high brow response and could not help myself from responding in kind I can't help but convey this simple little tale of cartography:

On a lavishly illustrated map with keen lettering and colored terrain features that I made at 16 or so I had a forest called - The Murken Wood. My father being the ever careful, sensitive and calcualting man that he is burst out laughing and told me what that word (well if properly spelled I got you there dad, ha, I spelled it differently) the word Merkin meant...

Oh dear me, sort of ruined that map.

Oh yeah, don't do an internet search for that word without filters turned on.

1 comment:

  1. I'll take your word for it on the internet search, also, I love the use of archaic words in setting descriptions, so, please continue with the blog posts on cartography terms, and I'll try and refrain from further berry picking. heh..

    ReplyDelete