Monday, January 17, 2011

one hour dungeon map handdrawn

Continuing my one hour dungeon drawing experiment inspired by reading this post at Planet Algol here's a hand drawn dungeon map:


(click for larger image)

It looks better on the paper before I scanned it and pasted it together in photoshop (it was a little too big to fit the whole thing on my scanner originally).
I was able to get in doors and ceiling heights on the hand drawn dungeon map. This one isn't as large an area as the earlier digital original and geomorph based maps and I still didn't get labels on it for keying the dungeon but there is more playable info on the map.

7 comments:

  1. Nice - my favourite of the three, I like the 'heavy traffic area' crossroads surrounded by looping areas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lot's of routes increases the utility of exploration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the personality of hand-drawn maps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun stuff. Gonna have to try this tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I remember when I used to draw this kinda stuff all the time in class and get in trouble for it. Brings back memories... Now, it's strictly graph paper and 'off-the-clock' time!

    I'm with Christian on the appeal of hand-drawn maps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The idea of representing ceiling heights is new and really interesting to me. I might have a default height for a dungeon but mark the odd high or low room. I like the symbol you've used for that too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @telecanter,I think I came across something like the ceiling notation on some caving maps.

    ReplyDelete