Thursday, December 9, 2010

So, what is in a name?

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet but would the tales of adventurers be identical if ability scores had different names?

Jeff Rients brought it up on his blog today a simple thought experiment and I've brought it up before here in this post.

It's a fun thought experiment to rename the ability scores and reflecting on the change in focus this could have in a campaign. It also illustrates very clearly the power of words and our reliance on generally accepted definitions.

When some says the word "wizard" what do you imagine? I can't say for sure but I'd wager your imagination and definition would not stray too far from mine.

Give the thought experiment a shot. Try it with other subjects and see what it does to a game.
I know I'd feel differently about a campaign with Knights, Zealots and Warlocks then I would one with Bushi, Monks and Mystics even if the abilities and stats were otherwise identical in function.

No comments:

Post a Comment